The Superintendent position will have administrative and managerial duties.
The Superintendent is responsible for scheduling, coordinating, and supervising the work of all site operatives, ensuring that all work is delivered safely on time and within budget. He/she will be responsible for efficient and effective management regarding the final disposition of the burial of the deceased, maintenance of the grounds, and the management of equipment and staff. Manages a fully functional and active cemetery's day-to-day operation.
The Cemetery Superintendent reports to the Board of Directors.
- Supervision of grounds crew staff by providing daily assignments. Coordinate staff time off and lunch schedules, ensuring appropriate coverage while minimizing overtime.
- Responsible for enforcing rules for the grounds' maintenance, safety, and general upkeep.
- Assist with groundskeeping duties as a working superintendent.
- Ensure the opening & closing for burials, interments, and inurnments. Set, install, and assemble foundations, memorials, and markers. Install outer burial containers/vaults.
- Counsels families and cemetery patrons making pre-need and at-need burial arrangements. Provides specialized information to personnel, patrons, and others regarding cemetery rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Responsible for securing all burial permits on the day of burial.
- Keeps various register maps of burial lots and cemetery. Manages burial records.
- Prepares all projects and other reports with timeliness and accuracy sufficient to meet the board members' approval. This involves ensuring all cemetery and legal regulations are implemented, all required documentation is completed as necessary, and daily work is recorded on site.
- Formulates, develops, and implements short-and long-range plans to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of cemetery operations.
- Responsible for keeping the cemetery in compliance with OSHA safety regulations.
- Ensures that each employee reporting to them has had at least two performance evaluations and reviews within the past year. Ensures that all staff is adequately trained and instructions are given straightforwardly and are understood. Maintain up-to-date personnel files.
- Ensures that the degree of cooperation, communication, and coordination with all other staff is satisfactory.
- Address all telephone, email, and letter correspondence.
- Initiates requests and recommendations concerning purchasing, repairing, or replacing office and grounds equipment.
- Assures that cemetery buildings and grounds are appropriately prepared, secured, and maintained.
- Genealogical research as time permits and by appointment only.
- All federal, state, and local safety laws and ordinances are being observed on assigned projects, and any required documents or forms are processed and filed as needed.
- Provides monthly reports to Board Members and attends various committee meetings of the Board of Directors in the evening.
- Responsible for maintaining a reasonably safe work environment by ensuring employees understand safe equipment operating procedures.
- Responsible for ensuring uniform maintenance is given to all lots regarding grass mowing and trimming.
- Directs and assists with equipment repairs. Arranges for vendor repairs as needed.
- Responsible for building maintenance and repairs.
- Responsible for maintenance of cemetery-owned vehicles.
- Responsible for any informational signs throughout the cemetery.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrative of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or a logical assignment to the position.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent with at least three years of cemetery experience.
Required: Valid Driver's License. Acceptable driving record and applicable license(s) to operate cemetery equipment/vehicles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and write effectively.
- Cemetery operations, including grounds and office activities.
- Principles and practices of management, supervision, and training. Interpersonal skills include tact, courtesy, and diplomacy. Must be the liaison with mortuary personnel and sensitive communications with family and friends of those interred/inurned on cemetery grounds.
- Excellent people skills with proven leadership qualities and ability to motivate others.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Requires lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling objects weighing more than 20 lbs. (without the assistance of mobile, powered equipment).
- Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is constantly needed (i.e., more than 75% of the time on the job).
- Physical workplace and/or exertion require somewhat rapid movement and/or effort and bring on a moderate amount of physical fatigue.
- The physical environment may include:
Job Application Form (pdf)
Job Posting (pdf)
- Working outdoors in all weather conditions,
- Moderate odors, dust, odor, pollen, or fumes may cause discomfort and/or irritation to eyes or respiratory passages,
- Loud noise from equipment/machine is at a level where ear protection is required.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) use is required for all job duties.